Braces and bandages provide support to different parts of the body. Most often it is a limb that is unstable or joints that hurt. They also help solve ligament or patella problems. Whether the aid is called an orthosis or a bandage depends on the design – bandages are simpler and orthoses are more complex with reinforcements and lateral joints.
Bandages have compressive (tightening) and proprioceptive properties (proprioception = the ability of the nervous system to register changes occurring in the muscles - it is necessary for proper movement coordination).
Types of bandages
- For the upper limbs: finger bandages, wrist bandages, elbow bandages, shoulder bandages
- For lower limbs: toe bandage, ankle bandage, calf bandage, knee bandage, thigh bandage
- For back and trunk: back bandage, lumbar belt, rib bandage
When to use a bandage?
- joint pain (tennis elbow, jumper's knee, Achilles tendon pain)
- as prevention during sports performances
- minor joint injuries
- slight instability of the joints
- in case of problems with the patella of the knee joint
What is the difference between a bandage, a brace and a sleeve?
- Bandage - simpler version without reinforcement, less support, in case of a slight injury or as a prevention
- Orthosis - reinforced parts, greater support, in case of injury or convalescence
- Sleeve - has more of a compression function, helps to keep the muscles warm, does not provide any support
Above all, the material and functionality are important. The bandage must be made of flexible material and perfectly surround the stressed or treated part of the body. Neoprene and elastic materials are used for production. Most often, bandages are made with a Velcro fastener or without fastening - pull-on.
Don't forget that it's a good idea to always consult your doctor when choosing a bandage!
It is important to choose a bandage that you really need. Either according to the state of health or according to the type of sport and part of the body under stress.
In our e-shop, we offer knee, ankle, wrist, elbow, shoulder and other bandages.